This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Away Shall Fade Forum Index -> Instance Guides
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Marithil
Master Elder
Captain-General

Captain-General
Awarded:

re: The Balrog!

Hello, I am here to announce what happened at the first ASF try at the balrog.

Well, we didn't down him...yeah, don't act surprised. It was a revealing and fun experience. We had mostly ASF members, 4 pugs..if I recall, I was kinda busy gathering all my little notes and web info from my last failed encounter with him. It was a blast and sadly I didn't get any actual screen shots of him, but I know some others did and they should be posting them shortly.

I have now taking it upon myself to get our kin at least 1 kill of Thaurlach BEFORE Mines of Moria is released. To this end I will be running Targeted Raids on him. Now you ask why am I not putting this in the targeted raids thread..well well..there is going to be 1 addendum to this particular targeted raid..I will not be super stingy on what classes join, but I will have a preference. So this means that if there is a class we need and we have to many..say, Lore-masters, I will kick one of them. Remember, it's for the group as a whole, and I promise it's not personal if I have to kick you.

Now, I will post 2 sites that I want EVERYONE TO MEMORIZE if you are going to be a part of these runs. I do not want to have to explain the fight a million times..it's really long and hard to explain and I want to jump through the screen, into your room, and delete your toon when people ask.."how do you do 'enter part of the fight here' again?" So please, for your sake and for mine..and for your repair bill, please read these links...PLEASE!!!

With out further adieu....

http://tabakinship.dkpsystem.com/viewthread.php?threadid=193

and...

http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Thaurlach

Thank you for your interest in this fight...and let kill us some evil Maia...and eat him after...I hear he can cook himself, and he better after all that hard work in hunting him down and killing him.

First Marshal
Awarded:

Wait... you killed Thrang!?!

Popaa

No, we got locks to the 'Rog...but wee would like to kill nasty ol Thrang as well
Puai
Marithil
Master Elder
Captain-General

Captain-General
Awarded:

Personally, I really got tired of bashing my head against the wall on thrang. I think this is a good relief from that, you know, trying something new.

Captain-General
Awarded:

Item's you will need if you want to come on these raids include:

20 fear, poison, wound, and disease pots.

5 hope token pots

Class items are useful.

And captains need both hope and war banners with them.

Also...I am sad to announce that I will not be able to make it to the balrog on Tuesday. I am sorry, some RL stuff came up. But this gives people time to become VERY familiar with the WHOLE fight. It would be a big help for everyone going to have the fight memorized. Please, do this. It will save on time and make the whole fight go smoother...so we don't have huge repair bills and bash our heads against the wall.

Great initiative Marithil!

I will definitely try to join at least one of these attempts to kill the Balrog.

Have read all of the guides, and watched several videos, so I think I understand the "theory". Yet doing it in practice is, of course, something different, although a good plan is always useful...

Some of the videos are actually quite helpful, especially this one, which shows the entire battle, from killing the first Darkling/World-Eater mobs, through the Everseer, and the final encounter with the Balrog himself:

http://www.fenriswolves.com/downloads/Balrog_long.wmv

One thing to watch - among all the others - but key since it is so close to victory - is when the Balrog goes down to 10K and he goes berserk on the Elf NPC. If we can't pull aggro away from her immediately, it's game over.

We can, and we will, accomplish this deed

Cheers

First Marshal
Awarded:

Damn, I'm so tempted to come back for a cameo appearance for this...

I also have some new... friends who know this fight really well... if you guys have specific questions after you've gotten into it.

Marithil
Master Elder
Captain-General

Captain-General
Awarded:

Yay for mel's return for the balrog!

Thanks for posting that video himgond, very helpful.

I would love someone better than I to help with this fight, melwhin. If they can help I welcome it. I would like to spare our kin any huge repair bill due to my lack of experience.

Captain-General
Awarded:

Okay, more info form the wonderful people at the kin Sain Gebir. (sorry about the spelling if it is wrong)

A few more requirements for those coming to the Balrog runs.

Lore-masters
You will need to have these traits equipped, or you will have to go back to a bard and get them equipped, cause we will not go in without them.
Proof Against All Ills
Power and Wisdom
Healer
Light of Hope
Dunadan Learning

Captains
You will need
Last Stand
In Harms Way..these are fairly common so no worries here.

Minstrels
You will need
Lay of Hammer Hand
Gift of Hammer Hand
Song of Hopeful Heart<-- If you do not have this, GET IT!

Guardians
You will need
Endurance of Stone
You will be spamming Guardians Pledge
Challenge
Challenge of Darkness

Hunters
You will need
Rain of Thorns..not hard here, we get it off easy.

The group I want going in this week will hopefully
consist of:
2 Minstrels
2 Captains
2 Lore-masters
2 Tanks, one Guardian, and one Champion, or 2 Guardians
2 Hunters..maybe 3
1 Burglar..maybe 2

I am sure there will be more to come.

Good run against the Balrog last night. Several members now have some experience of this fight, and we are deinitely getting a lot closer to down him.

I learned a lot, especially from my mistakes. wink

Only afterwards I realized why I got killed all of a sudden by the Everseer when tanking him: he gave me a terrible critical wound that I failed to observe before it was too late. I have now studied the guides again, and they show clearly that if this critical wound isn't immediately cured, the tank is going down, which most likely leads to a group wipe.

One thing to watch out for: when the Everseer lifts his hands - that's when the AoE critical wound strike is coming. Rest assured, I'll watch out for this the next time (if I'm given the chance ), and quickly respond by using Guardian's Pledge, and popping a cure wound potion.

The tank also needs help getting all the fear debuffed.

Cheers

Captain-General
Awarded:

Yes. I have learned alot from the leading perspective on this run. I have a few more thing that I'll need to go over with today's group.

Captain-General
Awarded:

Bump. We are doing the Balrog again soon, and want to remind everyone who is going to read this and comply with the things said. If you don't, I will seriously consider not letting you come so that we can actually kill him. Please be prepared!

Good, put it on the calendar already! :p

Hubby & I will probably be taking a break from the game for a while soon but we'd really love to get the rog & watcher down before we do this.

What do I mean by break? Don't worry, it wouldn't be very long :p
Marithil
Master Elder
Captain-General

Captain-General
Awarded:

Bump one more time. Get prepared people.

Perhaps my computer is acting funny, but I can't seem to get to any of the posted links except the lotro-wiki one. Going to go through YouTube for videos when I have time...would love to try the Rift out in general!
Posts from:   
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Away Shall Fade Forum Index -> Instance Guides All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: